30 May, 2007

At first I thought Lina Joy had died. I wasn't far from wrong.

State of mind:
Current soundtrack: Dance Dance Mweeblution - Digimon Tamers - Bark at The Lies (Hirata Hiroaki)

I feel a little sickened, both by the decision and this *wildly gleeful* reaction. It's not like Lina Joy went around or will go around killing teh Muslimz. She doesn't kick puppies (unless you're suggesting she should, seeing dog drool is uncleeeean). She's not traversing the world blaring the goodness of Jesus through a bullhorn. She just believes that she has found a different Higher Power, and would like to marry someone she loves without forcing him into another religion too (but that last bit is my personal interpretation).

This warrants the quotation that made George Bernard Shaw my hero:

Religion is a great force: the only real motive force in the world; but what you fellows don’t understand is that you must get at a man through his own religion and not through yours.

Maybe Allah just isn't Lina's (G)od and Islam isn't her religion any more, and she does have the freedom of religion under the Constitution. I can live with that. But the woman is not a murderer; she is not a rapist; she is not guilty of making jokes about dangling pipes or pepper-spraying celebrities. Cheering and yelling Allahuakbar? Come on now, isn't that a wee bit overmuch?

While I am but a polytheistic little heathen who knows NOTHING of Islam and should mind my own beeswax (if you follow the logic of places such as menj.org), I maintain that somewhere up beyond the clouds, Yahweh, Allah, the Hindu Trinity, the Jade Emperor and a handful of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are all either laughing their blessed heads off or just shaking them sadly.

(Also, I'd never seen a 'dun like dun read! DDD:' special snowflake outside of fandoms...until today. Non-denomination deity on a flatbread, this is Spartarific madness!)

ETA: 'Let the hate games begin'? This guy for real? Manjusri, grant me strength.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why they're harping about religious freedom. It's rather ironic seeing as how they don't want to grant Lina the same freedom.

May Chong said...

The attitude expressed in posts of that vein is downright scary. This is an Islamic nation, NOT an Islamic state. Lina Joy's what, 40ish? She's been fighting for this final step in her conversion for how long? It's hardly something frivolous in my eyes.

Someone needs to take a deep breath and step back, really.