29 May, 2007

Tandoo-glee.

State of mind:
Current soundtrack: Playlist name - series - song title (artist)

I am seemingly gleeful, enthusiastic and bursting with ideas, and on a random note, this state is called 'high tension' in Japanese. How stress is related to squeefulness, I have no idea, but yes. Ima wa, tenshon ga takai...rashii na joutai desu. ^_^;

Fine dining fought current events to get the first blog entry, and it looks like fine dining won. Gather around, my friends, for I am about to share with you my foodiest food secret. Secretly I am hoping few of you like Indian food, because I would really like to go there fairly early and still be able to sit down.

This is the best tandoori shack in Ampang, if not in Kuala Lumpur. (and no, I don't live in Ampang - my family makes occasional pilgrimages down here just for the food. P:)

---

While I am truly unable to give directions to this place (because my road sense is a little short of awful), the tandoori shack IS in Ampang, around the embassy area, and is visible from waaay across the road at Ampang Point shopping centre. Drive past it, and the Ampang Point furniture shop, and head to Jalan 5, which is a smallish street past the Korean restaurants and barbeque joints, and there you will find a bunch of nameless, slightly ratty-looking stalls. Well, no rattier than your usual Malaysian hawker stall anyway. If you have come a bit late, you might find no place to sit, but the smell of tandoori should alert you to the stall I'm introducing.

And here we are, the tandoori shack so good it has been referred to in fanfiction! (Well, it would...if I ever start/finish writing that piece where the UlNins show up here...I want to feed a certain chibi-chan real curry) You can have your tandoori with plain old naan, or butter, garlic or Kashmiri versions. (Kashmiri naan is nice. Just not with tandoori. Much.)



Besides the tandoori chicken (pictured here in its messy, blazing red glory), you can also have such delicacies as ground spinach, sardines and mutton curry. The chicken itself is...wow. Just juicy and tender, with the spices all getting under your fingernails. I love the spinach, because 1) it's not some deathly awful colour and 2) it doesn't separate so apparently into a heap of fibres floating in a pool of spinach juice. To wrap a chunk of tandoori in naan, drizzle it with spinach and pop it with abandon into one's mouth...THAT, readers, is bliss.

Aside from the tandoori stall, there's a fairly decent Malay stall that does fairly decent drinks, laici kang (...I wish I was making that up) , pecal (spicy rojak-ish do) and fried noodles. There used to be an old man there that made very good satay, but he wasn't there when the family dropped by last week and nobody knows quite where he's gone.

Tandoori was still good, though. *burp*

No comments: