09 January, 2007

Note to self:

State of mind: fascinated
Current soundtrack: SAMURAI 7 playlist

...Read foodie blogs before I go to bed more often. Came back from classes* last night and checked the Blogs of Note to find Passionate Eater and, through there, Chocablog. The result was rather a lot of time wasted, but some very nice dreams about Samurai 7 and Saiyuki. Katsu and Gojyo, in particular. I haven't had Saiyuki dreams for three years.

A quick note here - I am a huge sucker for the ancient East and its legends. Feudal Japan, Monkey/Journey To The West, element cycles, the four/five guardian beasts...mention them or pay tribute, and I'm hooked. The only exception is Fushigi Yuugi/Curious Play. You can only hear Miaka and Tamahome ping-pong each other's names back and forth so often, and without being too spoilerish...healing!sex?!

It seems a fair bit of my time is getting pimped out for my beloved college recently. Spent last weekend at the Star Education Fair giving out pamphlets and promoting the courses. Highlights of those two days included:


  • The two lovebirds who took a pamphlet without letting go of each other's hands.
  • Super Motivated Lassie who wanted to know about certification as an interior designer in Malaysia ("Um...tell you what, come down to campus, call this number and see if you can meet the ID head..."). It got me so curious I had to phone my buddy Lammy after the whole thing just to see if there WAS such an organisation that certified interior designers. (We now both think it's PAM.)
  • The lovely spunky couple who wanted to come in with their kids, too. I say heck, you're never too old for art. :D
  • The stern-looking gentleman who came asking about facilities catering for the deaf. He lives in Subang, just near our campus, but we couldn't really help him. LKW has lecturers who know ASL, but would you like to drive to Cyberjaya and back every day? I kind of felt for him.
  • The dude who came to enquire about Multimedia Design with the T-shirt that said HTML stood for How To Meet Ladies. (This was a fun session, I managed to joke all the way through it with his group.)

Thursday sees me talking to the fresh meat—I mean, new students, coming in for orientation. I've been a bit hesitant about doing this the past few terms, since the juniors one term below us have a really good kit and presentation going. We were kind of just there to shake the new students up and be class clowns, which is only tolerable up to a point. This time they say they want to bring in the 'stars', so that would be me, Chrys and Steph. T.

...Stars, srsly? I don't feel that starrish. There are lots of people in class who are more kengchow (skilled) than I am, although I do fairly well for myself. I guess now it just means that my kengchowness has to spread from my presentation skills into my design sense, as well!

*Which brings me to another point. I'm looking for Consumer Behaviour. 10th edition (Blackwell R.D., Engel, J.F., Miniard P.W. 2006, Thomson South-Western). Does anyone know where I can get a copy in the P.J. area?

No comments: