08 October, 2007

"Hey//As long as you stand next to me//I will sing for you"

State of mind: rather unimpressed
Current soundtrack: Ultraseven X - Another day comes (Pay money To my Pain)

All right. All right. Call me some kind of plebe and roll me in breadcrumbs, already. I managed to snag the op theme of Ultraseven X, which I'm listening to again as I type this. After so many years of bouncy-bouncy-WHEEEEEE! DMM numbers, I really don't know what to say now. Tsuburaya suddenly decided that they wanted something along the lines of rock, so they got this band (longest name I've ever seen, by the way) to do the theme. In English. To be fair, it's pretty GOOD English—better than, eh, doa's PIECE OF NOTHING for lack of example.

The other reason I'm not laughing is because the full version of the song is SIX MINUTES LONG. Two of these are devoted to an intro that segues from slow piano to Tak Matsumoto-esque guitars and then some serious axe-grinding. You don't need two minutes of intro for an Ultra theme, full v or no! :O Neither do you need to do that...shrieky thing into the microphone. Srsly. I don't need to go crawling in my skin.

...Despite all this, given the appropriate avenues I'd probably fall for Seven X, despite the fact campiness of UM > staid, dark themes of Seven-ness. I watched the pre-millennium Seven OVAs and the only thing I brought out of it was knowledge of the Akashic Record. On the other hand, let's look at the record:

Tiga: "Type-changing? Whuffor? Why so different?...Oh. Hm. Daigo and Rena are cute. And there's backstory. And Tiga actually IS teh luff. Human power! \(xox)/"
Nexus: "*A* AAAAARRRRGHHH NOOOOO angsty serious Ultras WTHWTHWTH...ZOMG angsty serious Ultras with HUMANITY and LOGIC yes plz."
Max: "Meh, nothing to yell about at the first episode...ho hum...Heeeeey wait a minute, why didn't anyone tell me this actually became entertaining?!" (I have Lynn to thank for this, really. She sent me the amnesia ep...and the hovering monster...and the surreal Butterfly Dream thing...)
Gaia: ...No, wait, I never DID like Gaia as a series.

Cygnus, for one, says that Seven X is pretty sweet stuff, and I'm inclined to trust his judgement—he was pimping Max to me while I basically went 'meh' and 'uh huh, yariteshure.' Only later did I come yelling to him 'Why didn't you tell me it was THIS FUNNY?' He says it's definitely very pretty-shiney-whee visually, but let's see whether it comes down the puddle to Malaysia first-lah; by some miracle my download rate jumped between 0.7 and 100+ kBps today, but I don't think that miracle will last with TMNut Screamyx.

How many songs do you know that have the lyrics 'My past rides into my memory', anyhow? Heh.

(ETA: All right, all right. Roll me in breadcrumbs again. It wasn't 'my bus rides into my memory', it seems. At least it didn't turn out like the time 'grit your teeth' turned into 'eat your face'...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seven X hasn't been too bad, actually. As Cygnus mentioned, lots of pretty eye-candy (both stylistically and bishounenly). I can't tell you squat about the storyline, but it's such a short series that I figure TPC should have put together a somewhat solid plot.

It's dark and Matrix-y, though. With insomnia, le gasp! Poor Seven, how did he come to be remembered like this? I mean, he was darker than Man, yeah... but angsty? Hmm. It's like he's the poster Ultra for Angsty Plots To Be Taken Seriously By Adults.

But hey, K's pretty awesome for a sidekick. Probably 'cause he strikes me as a bit goofy, not in the hee!goofy but hee-I-can-joke-around-and-kick-your-ass!goofy.

Oh, and veeeery little appearance from Seven X himself. O_o *is not used to so little Ultra time*

Anonymous said...

LOL. I meant AMNESIA, not insomnia! (Although judging from the two night-only episodes, that may come true too.)

*phailz*